Fire Station #1 & Tactical Training Tower.
York County, Virginia
York County’s first fire station, Grafton Fire Station #1, was originally constructed in 1960 by members of the York Fire Department. After conducting a facility assessment, it was determined that the original station was no longer supporting staff growth needs and that the aging facility had exceeded its life expectancy. The most feasible solution was determined to design and build a new fire station on a separate site. The new state-of-the-art five-bay station is designed to meet today’s emergency response needs while providing provisions for future growth. A new three-story training tower creates the opportunity to conduct simulated rescue training on the same site. As an essential facility, the new fire-EMS station was designed to meet stringent performance standards including NFPA 1500/1710, FEMA & ISO, CPTED standards, along with other applicable mission critical standards.
The new fire station includes five apparatus bays, decon room, ready-gear room, SCBA and workshop, along with integrated indoor training props in the apparatus area. This enables staff to simulate ladder climbing and repelling drills to simulate manhole rescue scenarios. York County’s initial target was LEED Certified, however, the project achieved LEED Silver Certification. Sustainable features include a geothermal system, LED lights, system controls, and indoor air quality strategies.