Location: Jarvisburg, NC
First built as a one-room school in 1868, the Historic Jarvisburg Colored School is one of the oldest standing former colored schools in North Carolina. It was replaced in the 1890s with a two-room building and expanded in 1911 to its current size. The school was in service from 1868 until 1950 when Currituck opened a Consolidated School and closed all the small African American county schools.
The renovation was completed over three phases. Everything but the frame of the building was completely dismantled, scrutinized for potential reuse and salvaged, if possible. The renovation also included the addition of brick piers to raise and protect the building from flooding and the restoration of the original exterior stairs. Phase 2 included the interior renovations and Phase 3, the museum.
This project was listed on the National Register of Historic Places after the restoration work was completed.